Mortgage Loan Originator
- - Retail Mortgage Lending
- Grand Rapids, MI, USA
- Full Time
Assist customers in securing conventional, lot, construction and FHA/VA/USDA residential mortgage loans in accordance with company policies and established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Ensure compliance with state and federal regulations while meeting sales goals. Responsible for all aspects of the Mortgage Loan Origination process including accurate, efficient and timely handling from receipt of the loan application to attending the closing. Must attain and maintain an active registration status with the NMLS (Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry). Work within a team to ensure loans progress through the pipeline efficiently and effectively and close within the rate-lock period.
Represent the Bank to both internal and external customers in a courteous, professional manner in face-to-face, written and telephone communications. Accountable for adherence to compliance standards, quality of documentation, timeliness and volume of loans closed. Identify financial objectives and refer clients to other bank services. Actively protect confidentiality of customer and account information. Demonstrate Horizon Bank's commitment to the communities in which we serve through active involvement in local organizations and events.
• Develop and execute effective marketing plans to meet or exceed mortgage loan production goals.
• Market, service and promote the bank's mortgage products, including the solicitation of residential first mortgages through contacts with Realtors, builders, developers, closing agents, social media and other referral sources.
• Independently monitor trends and developments in the local real estate market, as well as the changing rules and regulations pertaining to both conventional and government insured mortgages.
• Interview potential borrowers applying for residential mortgage loans to understand their needs.
• Analyze and screen preliminary loan requests on varied types of mortgage loans to determine which products best meet the customer's needs and financial circumstances. Provide advice regarding the advantages and disadvantages of different financial products and recommend the most appropriate mortgage loan program for the customer.
• Outline loan terms and conditions, and inform prospective borrowers of loan commitment.
• Enter loan application into LOS (Loan Operating System), order credit reports, and upload to AUS (Automated Underwriting System). Collect critical documents from borrower and submit loan applications for processing and underwriting approval.
• Once loan is underwritten, receive stipulations and assist to clear them
• Monitor the loan pipeline, tracking loans in process to ensure required documents are secured to ensure timely completion of the loan.
• Communicate regularly with customers regarding progress of loan and items needed for loan approval. Address customer questions and concerns through investigation and corrective action
• Periodically run AUS reports to ensure loans continue to have a favorable result once loan documents are submitted
• Communicate with Processor to schedule closing appointments. Travel to conduct closings with buyers, sellers, real estate agents, attorneys and others.
• Provide credit counseling to delinquent or non-qualifying customers.
• Develop and maintain knowledge of other bank products and services in order to effectively identify referral opportunities.
• Maintain file coverage for team members out of office and perform other duties as assigned
• Report suspicious transactions or unusual occurrences to supervisor.
• Perform all work in compliance with established regulations, policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and instructions.
• Maintain customer confidence and protect bank operations by keeping information private and confidential.
• Participate in ongoing skill, compliance, risk management and security training as required for the position and apply knowledge in daily tasks.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• High school diploma or equivalent with a minimum of 3 years residential mortgage loan experience or satisfactory completion of Horizon Bank's in-house Jr. MLO training (when available). College degree in business, finance or related field of study preferred.
• Basic knowledge of agency guidelines and industry standards as they relate to retail mortgage lending, conventional, lot, construction and FHA/VA/USDA loan programs.
• Exceptional organization, time management and follow-up skills. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with customers, bank employees and outside service providers.
• Ability to follow detailed instructions and adhere to a wide range of procedures and regulations requiring sound judgement.
• Ability to perform complex mathematical computations using various business machines and/or computers.
• Must have proficient typing and computer skills.
• Adaptability & Flexibility • Decision Making and Judgement
• Relationship Building • Attention to Detail
• Prospecting and Referring • Accountability
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Physical Demand: Percentage of Time:
• Communicate with customers, advisors and managers regarding banking transactions and issues. Able to exchange accurate information with others.
• Able to verify authenticity of financial instruments, forms, documents and signatures. Able to verify identity of customers, vendors and service providers. Able to observe actions of others to ensure safety and security of the facility.
• Able to grasp, move and sort forms and papers. 90-100%
• Constantly operate a computer and other office machinery such as calculator, copy machine, fax machine, scanner, printer and telephone 90-100%
• Able to remain stationary at a desk for long periods of time 75-100%
• Regularly move about the office to access file cabinets, storage drawers and various office equipment
• Occasionally position self to reach heights between floor and 6' <25%
• Travel to customer homes, businesses, community events and closing locations as required to meet or exceed referral, customer service and sales goals 25-75%
This Job Description reflects management's assignment of duties and responsibilities
and is subject to change at any time.