Jr. Commercial Portfolio Manager
- - Commercial Lending
- Lafayette, IN, USA
- Full Time
The Jr. Portfolio Manager is a key player on deal teams, working with Commercial Loan Officers and Portfolio Managers to collaborate and generate solutions for current and perspective clients within the Bank and to develop skills necessary to become a deal structuring expert. The Jr. Portfolio Manager will actively manage a book of business requiring on-going client interaction and financial analysis to maximize market penetration and account performance, in compliance with state and federal regulations, company policies and established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
Responsible for structuring and underwriting new client credit and performing financial modeling and analysis for commercial transactions. In a proactive and independent manner, conduct continuous monitoring of their client's portfolio and performance. Achieve various partnering efforts, including helping to manage team and client initiatives, to ensure profitable, properly structured deals are booked. Support the relationship team through the Credit Approval process in the most efficient manner based on knowledge and understanding of Horizon Bank's credit culture, as well as the rules and terms under which the transaction should be completed. Represent the Bank to both internal and external customers in a courteous, professional manner in face-to-face, written and telephone communications. Accountable for adherence to compliance standards including Bank Secrecy Act (BSA). Actively protect confidentiality of customer and account information. Demonstrate Horizon Bank's commitment to the communities we serve through active involvement in local organizations and events.
The Jr. Portfolio Manager will manage risk/audit requirements for the assigned portfolio as outlined in Policies & Procedures, with the support of the Commercial Loan Officer, Portfolio Manager and Market President.
Loan Structuring, Underwriting & Risk Management
• Protect Bank's assets and maintain quality of portfolio by adhering to lending processes, policies & procedures, legal and ethical requirements and regulations, audit requirements, and established risk management guidelines. Ensure all Commercial Banking business is in conformity with Bank Policies & other guidelines.
• Adhere to Know Your Customers Rules & Bank Policies & Procedures for the prevention of loss due to fraud, counterfeiting, money laundering, or defalcation; Identify and report suspicious and other reportable transactions or patterns of activity that are suspected to be related to money laundering.
• Collaborate with CLO's to generate ideas, identify client solutions, and deliver timely solutions.
• Actively manage client solution opportunities to identify cross-selling opportunities within portfolios.
• Operate as a member of the deal team and pursue prospective clients to maximize market penetration and returns.
• Participate in discussions to develop underwriting expertise in all categories and complexity of transactions; acquire necessary skills to provide knowledgeable analytics and guidance in required structuring and terms in order to balance the risk and rewards of the transaction in an attempt to win the business.
• Expand basic knowledge to be able to provide guidance and expertise in negotiating and documenting transaction with client within the context of the deal team.
• Maintain awareness of all firm products and services offered and facilitate means of receiving continuous updates.
• Assist CLO's and Credit Administration in renewals, extensions, modifications, covenant testing, and spreads
• Collaborate with CLO's in completion of opportunity memos for presentation of new prospects
• Participate in client calls as required, deal structuring, approval process including commentary in loan committee.
Portfolio Performance Management
• Conduct proactive, ongoing dialogue with Borrower within assigned portfolio to keep abreast of ongoing dynamics of the underlying business within the portfolio
• Perform detailed analysis of Borrower's financials; scan and assess economic/external environment for issues impacting the borrower to proactively recognize trends and actively manage portfolio; balance goals to maximize returns and credit quality.
• Prepare/oversee preparation of concise, well-reasoned credit correspondence.
• Obtain credit concurrence as client advocate.
• Review and manage credit administration items, past dues, upcoming maturities, and overdrafts.
• Participate in Construction Administration – Reconcile draw packages (sworn statements & AIA's), order & review inspections, order date down endorsements & title updates, and interact with clients as necessary.
• Manage and complete Annual Credit Reviews which includes completion of write-up, financial analysis, and annual site inspection for non-construction CRE projects.
• Monthly examination of Asset Based Line of Credit Report (Borrowing Base) by collecting borrowing base reports, reviewing customer availability, and approving draw requests.
• Monitor economic trends in accordance with client financial analysis to assist in portfolio reviews
• Function as the 2nd reviewer of complex relationships and be a backup to officer for client needs, such as draws, collateral changes, billing issues, etc.
• Assist CLO's in ordering of appraisals
Risk and Compliance
• Report suspicious transactions or unusual occurrences to supervisor and CLO as required.
• Conduct and document periodic risk reviews and run reports as needed
• Perform all work in compliance with established regulations, policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and instructions.
• Maintain customer confidence and protect bank operations by keeping information private and confidential.
• Participate in ongoing skill, compliance, risk management and security training as required for the position and apply knowledge in daily tasks
• Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Bachelor's degree in finance, economics, or accounting and 2 years' related experience in financial services industry or equivalent education and experience
• CPA or MBA in finance, accounting or business law preferred
• Basic understanding of Commercial Products, Commercial Lending Process, Commercial Lending Directive, all supporting processes and technology
• Some credit analysis experience/understanding with knowledge of agency guidelines and industry standards as they relate to commercial lending is helpful.
• Strong interpersonal skills used within a team environment and in client interaction with emphasis on excelling in relationship building.
• Highly developed written and oral communication skills including the ability to write clear, concise and cogent credit correspondence.
• Excellent capability to independently and proactively service multiple clients and effectively manage multiple priorities
• Ability to advocate persuasively.
• Excellent abilities in managing relationships and identifying cross-selling opportunities.
• Ability to learn and adapt quickly
• Must have excellent typing and computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
• Risk Assessment • Decision Making and Judgment
• Relationship Building • Adaptability and Flexibility
• Effective Questioning • Results Focused
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Physical Demand: Percentage of Time:
• Communicate with customers, advisors and managers regarding banking transactions and issues. Able to exchange accurate information with others.
• Able to verify authenticity of financial instruments, forms, documents and signatures. Able to verify identity of customers, vendors and service providers. Able to observe actions of others to ensure safety and security of the facility.
• Able to grasp, move and sort forms and papers. 90-100%
• Constantly operate a computer and other office machinery such as calculator, copy machine, fax machine, scanner, printer and telephone 90-100%
• Able to remain stationary at a desk for long periods of time 75-100%
• Regularly move about the office to access file cabinets, storage drawers and various office equipment
• Occasionally position self to reach heights between floor and 6' <25%
• Travel locally to attend closings, seminars and meetings. <10%
This Job Description reflects management's assignment of duties and responsibilities
and is subject to change at any time.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts